Film – Week 8 – Screenwriting

FOUND IN CAFE: Screenplay, slightly used

“You can’t fix a bad script after you start shooting. The problems on the page only get bigger as they move to the big screen.” – Howard Hawks

SUMMARY

• Weekly summary: My post was turned in late – but this will hopefully be the last time that happens. I AM EXHAUSTED.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Image from sneakonthelot.com/my-courses/
  • Complete the Sneak on the Basic Filmmaking activity
  • This activity easily took over 60 minutes, and was relatively draining. It was not as enjoyable as the previous sneakonthelot activity, and though I learned good information, I didn’t feel completely engaged.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• Things that act as sources of tension in my life:
  • Timers
  • Lack of time
  • Time
  • Familial conflict
  • Covid-19
  • Current politics
  • My pets
  • Soccer games
  • The need to do daily tasks

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• One-sentence scenarios for a 3-5 minute short film:

• I frantically search for my dogs as they run away (and taunt me).
  • Timers haunt me as I fail to finish assignments and homework
  • The opposing soccer team prevents my team from scoring.
  • Covid-19 numbers in Thurston county rise and restrict my soccer team’s performance abilities.
  • I attempt to force my eyes to function as they slowly shrivel up due to excess screen time.
  • Tensions between stuffed animals rise to all time highs and I have to severely moderate them.
  • I patiently wait for time to pass so that I can be an old lady.
  • I imagine my friends’ demise while they refuse to respond to my electronic communications.

STUDIO (FILMING)

• How do we build a great story structure?

• I liked the video. I will certainly refer back to the video when making films later, and I now have a better understanding of the usual and audience-capturing structure of a story.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I finished this blog post in the course of a week and a half (overdue) – and I believe I have now learned a few different ways to effectively finish my blog posts.
  • I need to start my weekly film assignments by doing a quick scan or overview – looking at each of the things I need to do (for the specific blog post), writing a list, and then prioritizing them.
  • I’m going to try to aim for one hour of film each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This should allow me to completely finish my film assignments in a timely manner, and should help dissolve some of my lingering stress.
  • I have learned that Youtube is an incredibly distracting black hole that I can easily trip and fall into. I need to stay away from its evil clutches (unless I am watching something educational or uplifting).